[ibis-macro] Re: EMD Pole-Zero Models (Why voltage controled sources?)

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kumarchi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:47:19 -0400

Kumar

There are no standards for S-parameter data either. Would you care to define one that ensures simulation accuracy and fidelity to the original source? The problem is not with the S-parameters, it is in how you create or measure them.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

C. Kumar wrote:
arpad:
you are correct. if the pole/zero is derived form analytic/near anlytic model it would do fine.However problems will show up for reduced order models (complex structures) and data from measurements. There are no standards for it. The problem is not the pole/zero but how you derive it.

        From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        controled sources?)
        To: Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx
        Cc: "IBIS Macro" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 11:41 AM

        Arpad

        I think the piece you are missing is why controlled sources
        and pole-zero are needed.  There are several reasons:

        1) currently a number of vendors have realized that
        s-parameter models do not always simulate well in a number of
        environments. Sometimes they are not implemented, and when
        they are, simulation is often slow, and/or problematic in
        numerous ways.

        2) having realized this, some companies have developed tools
        to translate s-parameters into pole/zero approximations using
        various methods.  These models are often corrected for
        passivity and run extremely fast in classical environments
        like HSPICE.  Ansoft, Sigrity and IDEMworks, among others, can
        all provide excellent pole-zero models from S-parameters or
        the output of their tools.

        3) some manufacturers are already delivering models in
        multiple forms:  coupled ideal spice, s-parameter, and HSPICE
        pole-zero format.

        4) implementation of the HSPICE pole-zero format requires
        G-element or E-element controlled sources, because these are
        the elements that implement pole-zero polynomials in that
        software.

        5) There are two ways to implement coupling in classical
        coupled spice models, using either K-elements or controlled
        sources.  Controlled sources are sometimes preferred for
        simulator performance reasons.  Ansoft coupled Spice models
        developed by their quasi-static 3D FEM tool use controlled
        sources for coupling.

        I would restrict the use of controlled sources to only those
        cases where they are needed.  Otherwise you get into the case
        where a controlled source could be arbitrarily placed in
        signal path, thus creating an amplified model, or a model with
        feedback, which then could break the LTI assumption.

        Scott

        Scott McMorrow
        Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
        121 North River Drive
        Narragansett, RI 02882
        (401) 284-1827 Business
        (401) 284-1840 Fax

        http://www.teraspeed.com

        Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
        Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

        Muranyi, Arpad wrote:
        Walter,
Let's put aside for a moment all detail questions about LTI,
        the format of pole/zero, and consistency.  My question still
        stands:
How are we going to guarantee that this new language will
        translate into anyone's SPICE easily if we put NEW capabilities
        into it (such as pole/zero and impulse response based T-line
        data) which were never supported in any SPICE before?  I can
        see how limiting ourselves to LTI may help to simplify this
        new Interconnect-SPICE specification so that this translation
        may be doable (although when it comes to the controlled sources
        I am not that sure), but I don't see how the new T-line features
        could be translated easily.  Do you have any thoughts on how that
        would be done?
Thanks, Arpad
        From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
        controled sources?)
        To: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Cc: "IBIS Macro" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 12:54 AM

        Bob,

        Thanks for digging this up on the use of controlled voltage source for
the

        Laplace and Pole-Zero form of transfer functions.

        Is the following a correct summary:

        * A Touchstone file is a matrix of "Transfer Functions", where the

        "Transfer

        Function" is represented as a "Vector" of complex coefficients.

        o Each element of the "Vector" is the amplitude of the "Transfer

        Function"

        at a specific
         frequency.

        * Each of the "Transfer Functions" can be translated to Laplace form

        with a

        numerator and denominator polynomial.

        o Hspice implements the Laplace form using the E and G LAPLACE
controlled

        voltage source.

        * The numerator and denominator Laplace polynomials can be factored, the

        numerator polynomial factored into a list of zeros, and the denominator

        factored into a list of poles.

        o Hspice implements the Pole-Zero form using the E and G POLE controlled

        voltage source.

        * Alternatively, each of "Transfer Functions" can be translated into

        "Impulse Responses"

        If this is correct, then Lossy RLGC, Touchstone, Laplace,
         Pole-Zero

        interconnect blocks can simply be represented
         as an EMD "Block" of

        the form:

        file=<file>

        * Where

        o EMD_Block_xxxx

        * Instance Designator

        o <list of nodes>

        * List of
         nodes

        o <length>

        * Length of interconnect in meters (applies only to RLGC)

        o <type>

        * RLGC

        * Touchstone

        * Laplace

        * Pole

        * Impulse

        o <file>

        * RLGC

        * Contains RLGC table data

        * Touchstone

        * sNp

        * Laplace

        * Contains Laplace polynomial coefficients

        * Format needs
         specification

        * Pole

        * Contains Pole Zero data

        * Format needs specification

        * Impulse

        * Contains Impulse Response data

        * Format needs specification

        It is a trivial exercise to convert any one of these "Types" of

        EMD_Blocks

        to Hspice W, S, E and G elements.

        If all of the
         above is correct, then there is no need for EMD_Blocks that

        are specifically voltage controlled sources.

        To answer your question: An EMD models for a group of interconnect pins
is

        essentially an ICM [Nodal Path Description] where each of the
N_sections is

        essentially an EMD_Block. The [Nodal Path Description]
         becomes a subckt with

        nodes consisting of external EMD pins and IBIS component pins. In ICM
all of

        the N_section can either be all RLGC or all Touchstone. In EMD the

        EMD_Blocks can be any combination of RLGC, Touchstone, Laplace, Pole,

        Impulse, Resistor, Capacitor, Inductor, Conductance or K (coupling)

        elements.