[ibis-macro] Re: EMD Pole-Zero Models (Why voltage controled sources?)

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS Macro" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:25:05 -0700

Walter,

Let's put aside for a moment all detail questions about LTI,
the format of pole/zero, and consistency.  My question still
stands:

How are we going to guarantee that this new language will
translate into anyone's SPICE easily if we put NEW capabilities
into it (such as pole/zero and impulse response based T-line
data) which were never supported in any SPICE before?  I can
see how limiting ourselves to LTI may help to simplify this
new Interconnect-SPICE specification so that this translation
may be doable (although when it comes to the controlled sources
I am not that sure), but I don't see how the new T-line features
could be translated easily.  Do you have any thoughts on how that
would be done?

________________________________

From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "IBIS Macro" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 12:54 AM
Bob,

Thanks for digging this up on the use of controlled voltage source for the

Laplace and Pole-Zero form of transfer functions.

Is the following a correct summary:

* A Touchstone file is a matrix of "Transfer Functions", where the

"Transfer

Function" is represented as a "Vector" of complex coefficients.

o Each element of the "Vector" is the amplitude of the "Transfer

Function"

at a specific
 frequency.

* Each of the "Transfer Functions" can be translated to Laplace form

with a

numerator and denominator polynomial.

o Hspice implements the Laplace form using the E and G LAPLACE controlled

voltage source.

* The numerator and denominator Laplace polynomials can be factored, the

numerator polynomial factored into a list of zeros, and the denominator

factored into a list of poles.

o Hspice implements the Pole-Zero form using the E and G POLE controlled

voltage source.

* Alternatively, each of "Transfer Functions" can be translated into

"Impulse Responses"

If this is correct, then Lossy RLGC, Touchstone, Laplace, Pole-Zero

interconnect blocks can simply be represented as an EMD "Block" of

the form:

file=<file>

* Where

o EMD_Block_xxxx

* Instance Designator

o <list of nodes>

* List of
 nodes

o <length>

* Length of interconnect in meters (applies only to RLGC)

o <type>

* RLGC

* Touchstone

* Laplace

* Pole

* Impulse

o <file>

* RLGC

* Contains RLGC table data

* Touchstone

* sNp

* Laplace

* Contains Laplace polynomial coefficients

* Format needs specification

* Pole

* Contains Pole Zero data

* Format needs specification

* Impulse

* Contains Impulse Response data

* Format needs specification

It is a trivial exercise to convert any one of these "Types" of

EMD_Blocks

to Hspice W, S, E and G elements.

If all of the above is correct, then there is no need for EMD_Blocks that

are specifically voltage controlled sources.

To answer your question: An EMD models for a group of interconnect pins is

essentially an ICM [Nodal Path Description] where each of the N_sections is

essentially an EMD_Block. The [Nodal Path Description]
 becomes a subckt with

nodes consisting of external EMD pins and IBIS component pins. In ICM all of

the N_section can either be all RLGC or all Touchstone. In EMD the

EMD_Blocks can be any combination of RLGC, Touchstone, Laplace, Pole,

Impulse, Resistor, Capacitor, Inductor, Conductance or K (coupling)

elements.