[ibis-interconn] Re: Mixed mode matrix definition

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:19:22 -0600

Hi Bob,

You put very important questions. I think all the ordering types listed
below should be definitely allowed. I don't see why we need any further
restriction on that. The only requirements are:

- Input and output vectors (like A and B) are similarly ordered
- Each SE component in the vector appears only once, each C/D pair of MM
components appears once and each port may participate in only one MM
pair or not participate at all
- Indexes are built from port numbers use in standard mode

As a result, the standard mode matrix can be uniquely restored from the
given matrix and given mapping

It seems as all 5 examples satisfy these requirement.

Regarding your second question:

    >Would C5,6 and C6,5 be considered equivalent?

Since mixed mode pair is produced by the relations:

Ac5,6 = 1/sqrt(2) * ( A5 + A6)
Ad5,6 = 1/sqrt(2) * ( A5 - A6)

It follows that at least D5,6 and D6,5 are not equivalent.

Therefore, the order of indexes in each pair matters. I think we should
not allow - for clarity - the modes C5,6 and D6,5 present at the same
time. Of course, they are still convertible, because D5,6 = -D6,5, but
still, the data should be consistent. The first index stands for the
'positive' and the second for 'negative' in defining the differential
pair.

Vladimir