[ian-reeds-games] demon war cycle update - map 3 information and previous map updates

  • From: "Victorious" <dtvictorious@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 03:14:44 +0800

Hi All

Some news on map 3!

Carlos and I are pleased to announce that we'll be working together on the
conclusion to this series, where your mission is to penetrate the heart of
the demon fortress and defeat the demon king. There will be over 10
different trap types to overcome, over 80 different pieces of equipment that
you can use to equip your character with powerful artifacts in hidden
locations or optional bosses, and many exciting enemies and some new game
mechanics that I've not seen in other maps.
Just a quick teaser - You'll have a party of 5 adventurers:
The archwizard has a wide variety of utility, offensive, defensive and tile
warding spells. He performs magic through the release of magical energy into
the immediate area, and does not rely on the external environment for his
magic.
The stormlord, though similar to the archwizard at first glance, is actually
very different as he uses weather instead of usual elemental magic. Some of
its abilities include: collecting thermal energy to cause heat waves if the
area is warm enough, conjuring fog and blizzards that hamper visibility if
the area has cool air, summon thunderstorms when clouds are present, expand
thunderstorms so they can affect more than 1 tile, and upgrade the
thunderstorm into a tempest that does considerably more damage.
The rogue can scout through enemy territory undetected, backstab, poison and
blind enemies,, place time-delayed explosives and deal with traps and locks.
Enemies learn from their experiences when falling prey to some of the
rogue's tricks.
The paladin is a powerful champion of good with many melee capabilities
complimented by a handful of spells. It can use a variety of stances,
cripple or weaken enemies, and harness its rage to great effect.
The high priestess can employ many curative spells, repel enemies and
prevent entry to the area with holy wards, and in times of great duiress,
pray for salvation.

For my previous maps, someone found some bugs in the defence of illiria map,
which required emergency fixes. I also took the opportunity to reduce the
number of enemy units you face in the river defence map from 50 to 30 as the
AI is much smarter than it used to be. The full changelog follows. You can
get the latest version by deleting any previously installed copies and using
the game downloader. Barring any more really awful bugs, I plan to stop
maintenance of the first 2 maps to fully concentrate on map 3 development.

Defence of Iliria Version 1.2 (28 mar 2014)

1. Removed ice imprison because it can be used for a pretty powerful expoit.
It has been replaced with earth barrier and dispel earth barrier.

2. Due to user requests, the elemental spellcasters now get elemental damage
type spells that just hit a single target, without doing any splash damage.

3. Converted most stuff so that it uses inheritance - I'm  not sure how I
survived without it for so long.

4. Removed the detailed information from the user guide, because it was
getting time-consuming to update information for skills in the map itself
and the user guide. All documentation exists within the game itself.

V1.2 (mar 28 2014)

Because of advances in the game's AI since this map was created, I've
reduced the number of enemy units from 50 to 30.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more updates!

Victorious and Carlos