[ian-reeds-games] Re: announcing a new map: river defence reloaded

  • From: shaun everiss <sm.everiss@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:45:27 +1300

the exe file is a 7zip sfx.
its got no viruses in it but yeah having a .exe file these days especially when a link is handed to you does rais alarms a bit.

At 12:17 PM 3/29/2013, you wrote:
Hi Dickson,
I downloaded and played the map pack. I wanted to say a few things, almost all good, lol.

First off, I dont' like fords. I prefer chevy or toyota, grin. Ok, sorry,I just couldn't help myself.

1. The file itself when downloaded was an .EXE file extension. Since I am not hugely computer literate, I was afraid it was something else, and not the map pack. So I used 7zip and unzipped it and put it where it belonged. Was it supposed to install itself or something?

2. The user guide was excellent. It was a pleasure to read. Informative, description of the scenario was good and overall just a excellent document. Good work.

3. This isn't a complaint or anything, but I was just wondering why the player doesn't have archers? I was just curious.

4. Some of the attack sounds sounded like misses, when they weren't. I know you said you were working on sounds, and so perhaps you had something else in mind. With the chance flag in TB, sounds are now more seperated into swings and misses so it was noticable and sounded weird. If you are looking for more hit sounds, I can give you a list of sound effect websites that have free sounds, and also I might have some extra hit sounds in my libary you can use as well, just contact me off list if you would like me to search for some.

5. There is a huge amount of enemies... This is really my only real problem with the map. The thing is, I know it is important to have this many bad guys, cause otherwise, how can it be the heroic defense? So they are needed. The only problem is that they all seem to get to do an action of some sort. Which means a long lag time of a bounch of grunts and the like "defending" all the time since they can't do anything else. The only two ways I can think of for cutting off some time from the computer taking it's excessively long turn, is to use the use_unseen and use_unexplored flags, or one of them anyway that would block alot of that chatter, hopefully. The second option would be to get rid of the defend skill, and see if that cuts down the chatter as well. Maybe, a third way, but not preferable I dont think, is the use of spawning spots. This would cut back the number of units significantly, yet could still produce a large number of units over a period of time.

I hope you didn't take offense at this, cause I really do enjoy the map. I haven't solved it yet, but it is fun and addictive. The tactics are definately necessary to survive teh encounter and it is a good map overall. I like the diffrent mages and their diffrent spells and it is well done. So I think you did a fantastic job.