[ian-reeds-games] Re: announcing a new map: river defence reloaded

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:17:23 -0400

Hi Dickson,
I downloaded and played the map pack. I wanted to say a few things, almost all
good, lol.

First off, I dont' like fords. I prefer chevy or toyota, grin. Ok, sorry,I just
couldn't help myself.

1. The file itself when downloaded was an .EXE file extension. Since I am not
hugely computer literate, I was afraid it was something else, and not the map
pack. So I used 7zip and  unzipped it and put it where it belonged. Was it
supposed to install itself or something?

2. The user guide was excellent. It was a pleasure to read. Informative,
description of the scenario was good and overall just a excellent document.
Good work.

3. This isn't a complaint or anything, but I was just wondering why the player
doesn't have archers? I was just curious.

4. Some of the attack sounds sounded like misses, when they weren't. I know you
said you were working on sounds, and  so perhaps you had something else in
mind. With the chance flag in TB, sounds are now more seperated into swings and
misses so it was noticable and sounded weird.
If you are looking for more hit sounds, I can give you a list of sound effect
websites that have free sounds, and also I might have some extra hit sounds in
my libary you can use as well, just contact me off list if you would like me to
search for some.

5. There is a huge amount of enemies... This is really my only real problem
with the map. The thing is, I know it is important to have this many  bad guys,
cause otherwise, how can it be the heroic defense?
So they are needed. The only problem is that they all seem to get to do an
action of some sort. Which means a long lag time of a bounch of grunts and the
like "defending" all the time since they can't do anything else.
The only two ways I can think of  for cutting off some time from the  computer
taking it's excessively long turn, is to use the use_unseen and use_unexplored
flags, or one of them anyway that would  block alot of that chatter, hopefully.
The second option would be to  get rid of the defend skill, and see if that
cuts down the chatter as well. Maybe, a third way, but not preferable I dont
think, is the use of spawning spots. This would  cut back the number of units
significantly, yet could still produce a large number of units over a period of
time.

I hope you didn't take offense at this, cause I really do enjoy the map. I
haven't solved it yet, but it is fun and addictive. The tactics are definately
necessary to survive teh encounter and it is a good map overall. I like the
diffrent mages and their diffrent spells and it is well done. So I think you
did a fantastic job.