[ian-reeds-games] Re: Releasing Tactical Battle 1.12 in the next few days

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 23:30:59 -0500

Hi Ian,
I don't know what to tell you about the funky sounds. I have win xp, and I have
heard alot  of griping about how it handles sounds so maybe that is the problem
which is nothing you could even test for if you don't have it also.
I am thinking seriously about windows 8. I guess it will all depend on the vets
affairs, if they can help me out. that's always a hit or miss.

I updated the zombie map a bit.
I put in some cools ounds for the shotgun and pistol, hopefully they sound a
little more like what they are supposed to sound like.
I have death sounds for the gate and fence. Not perfect but better then nothing.
I put in items and updated the item  stuff so that all the items can be taken,
transfered, dropped etc.
I got to admit, Ian, I was wondering if items were going to be a bear of a
thing to handle. I thought it might be way complicated with dozens of flags a
mile long, lol.
But no, it was relatively  painless, and after just one brief episode with a
few typos the items were working just great. In fact, if I may use my favoritie
buzzword, "Intuitive", that is what it was, really intuitive and easy to use
and makes it so easy that it is actually really fun using items. This was  such
an excellent job.

I threw in some items to wear for armor as well as new weapons. a knife, bat
and a tire iron, as well as the longbow and a hunting rifle.
I made the molotov cocktails and grenades into items, and bareing that bug, it
works great.

I didn't switch over any of the main guns however. I wanted to wait till items
and points get all figured out before doing that.

which makes me think of several things right off the bat.
Is it possible to restrict items. For instance a housewife isn't going to pick
up an assault rifle dropped by a soldier and know how to use it properly, or in
a fantasy setting, someone might not want their wizard to walk around in
platemail.

secondly, is it possible to turn an item into another item? some examples are:
a military rifle haveing a bayonet added to the front of the rifle to become a
spear so to speak. Or the same gun could be turned into a club once the bullets
run out. I could probably cook something up in a skill with points, but not
sure how items would do it, if ever.

Creating an item might be interesting as well, or taking it apart as the needs
of the map dictate.
For example, a molotov cocktail involves gasoline, a bottle and a rag. How can
these be added together to create an item.
Another question I had was armor. If someone wants to build up armor as pieces
instead of a single piece how do the protection values stack or should they?
Just bringing this up to add to one of your lists, lol.

Lastly updated the user guide, and I think I made it so the zombies don't bite
the objects around the place in the first round.

The map pack is updated.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68028683/One%20shot%20wonders.zip