[ian-reeds-games] Re: Releasing Tactical Battle 1.12 in the next few days

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:27:42 -0700

Hey Allan,

Thanks for the bug report. I think I've fixed it so I'll get a new dev release out today and you can let me know.

I love to hear that you found it intuitive. That buzzword is one of my favorite compliments.

In answer to a few of your items:
Allan said: I didn't switch over any of the main guns however. I wanted to wait till items and points get all figured out before doing that. I say: Makes sense. Just so you know it will probably be a while till I do points for items. I think I will handle them around the same time I do team wide points.

Allan said: Is it possible to restrict items. For instance a housewife isn't going to pick up an assault rifle dropped by a soldier and know how to use it properly, or in a fantasy setting, someone might not want their wizard to walk around in platemail. I say: Very good point. I put some thought into this in the past and I don't think this will be terribly hard. It may even happen soon. I'm thinking something like an equip_type=chain on an item that means the unit must support that equip type in order to equip it.
So then the Warrior unit would have this flag:
equip_type=plate,chain,leather,cloth
Whereas the Wizard would have this flag:
equip_type=cloth
Obviously you could define weapon equip types as well.

Allan said: Creating an item might be interesting as well, or taking it apart I say: Converting, creating, and dismantling items are good ideas and are on my list now. They are unlikely to happen near term though.

Allan said: If someone wants to build up armor as pieces instead of a single piece how do the protection values stack or should they?
I say: The protection values should stack currently.
So if you create a helment and a leather vest and equip both the unit will get the combined protection of both.

In Entombed it might not have worked this way since the game supported targeting specific body parts but most games just combine all the protection. Alter Aeon for example has a total armor amount and as I understand it even D&D uses an armor class that is adjusted by every piece of armor equipped.

A while back you asked about 2 handed weapons. I intend on supporting these some day but for now they are not supported.

I'm running windows 7 here and I intentionally got windows 7 instead of windows 8 because I'd used it for a while and was comfortable with it.

Windows 8 might be a better experience for you but I'd say that just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better so make sure you have an idea of how things have changed before you decide to upgrade. I've never used it myself though, you might want to ask other blind individuals about their experiences with it.

Great to hear about the updates to your map pack. I love how you keep updating your map packs to take advantage of the newer features.

I'll try to get that dev version out today. Maybe I'll even fit the equip_type= flags in.