[ian-reeds-games] Re: RPG Engine

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 10:33:12 -0600

Hey Shaun,

I've tried to fix that crash for my next version. I'm not sure why it had a problem loading one of the Samuel files. My guesses would be DirectX version, missing some sound codec, or something in the sound is not supported by the sound card. When I've looked at problems in the past those are some of the shots in the dark that are thrown out.

In the past Kai mentioned that one of my sounds in TB used to be recorded at a strange bitrate which made it not work on certain machines. Perhaps there is a similar problem with this sound.

For now you can exclude those sounds from playing by opening:
Data for RPG\Units\NPCs\Samuel the inn keeper.txt
Then comment out line 5 by putting // in front of it.  It looks like this:
ambient_vocal_sounds Male_Inn_01_Samuel,Male_Inn_02_Samuel,Male_Inn_03_Samuel,Male_Inn_04_Samuel,Male_Inn_05_Samuel

I hope that gets you passed the crash, though it will make Samuel silent in the game.