Re: [i3] conky output on i3lock

  • From: Axel Wagner <mail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:24:07 +0100

Since I used the wrong mail-address before, again to the mailing-list:

Hi Michael,

Michael Stapelberg <michael@xxxxxxxx> writes:

I’m slightly confused. What would I need to merge? Your reference points
to an i3lock-external shell script (which I have attached to this
message, so that it doesn’t get lost when sprunge garbage collects).

Sorry, I wasn't very clear here. I can see mostly one shortcoming of a
script like this to the mentioned fork: The inability to log and display
failed login-attempts.
Currently the only way to do this would be to run i3lock in debug mode
and grep for "Authentication failure", counting the lines, that come up
and show this somehow in conky. I see this as a little bit ugly (but
nevertheless possible, it only occured to me later), so a nicer way
would be for i3lock to output failed attempts even without debug-mode
(possibly with an additional switch?).

So no, there actually is nothing to merge yet. If someone wants this
functionality, that _might_ be a way to do it, _if_ a change like this
(in some way expose failed login attempts) would be accepted.

As I said, I just wanted to dump some of my thoughts and results of a
bit of discussion, in case someone might be interested in doing such a
thing.

Best,

Axel