Re: [i3] i3, caps lock mapping

  • From: Michael Stapelberg <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 16:52:10 +0100

Hi Louis,

Louis Pop <louispopinjay@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Good morning Michael!

First, thank you for your excellent i3 guide!

In this section ( => http://i3wm.org/docs/3.e/userguide.html#keybindings)
you hint that caps lock can be used as the i3 modifier key. May I ask how
you'd accomplish this?

So far I've worked out that I can disable the toggle caps feature of the
key by exec-ing 'setxkbmap -option caps:none', but I can't work out the
syntax for setting it to be the modifier in my i3 config.

I'm hoping for something like 'set $mod Caps_Lock' so I can keep the entire
configuration contained within the i3 config file, so I can drop it neatly
into new installs.
The key is called “Mode_switch” in X11 speak.

--
Best regards,
Michael