[i3] conky output on i3lock

  • From: Axel Wagner <mail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 02:48:50 +0100

Hi all,

there has been people who want to display time and similar statistics in
a locked screen. In fact there has already been a fork [1] to do such
things.

If you want something similar, but don't want to follow or maintain a
fork (and don't need the number of failed unlock attempts), you might
also use a conky instance that is configured to draw on the
i3lock-window. Without much testing, any commitment to maintain anything
and just as a starting point, I provide [2], which is a working proof of
concept. If someone has interest and the time to further expand upon
this script and make it more stable and widely usable, I would be very
glad and appreciate a notice.

If Michael would be willing to merge something like this, you could
probably also add the number of failed unlock attempts, by having i3lock
output a message on stdout/stderr on a failed attemp, counting them and
using this in conky (or else grep through the debug-output). I think
that would be general enough to not add a lot of bloat to i3lock, while
still enabling some nice usecases. But I did not think that through yet.

Best,

Merovius

[1] https://github.com/popoffka/i3lock
[2] http://sprunge.us/jiJg