[huskerlug] Re: PCLinuxOS

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 03:38:42 -0500

GreyGeek wrote:
> On Friday 23 June 2006 4:04 pm, Jim Worrest wrote:
>>      Well, it has 5,000 apps in it's library.  It does NOT encourage people
>> look outside it's repository.  You may have noted it didn't have ALIEN in
>> it's repository.
>
> When I ran it there were only 3,900 and change in its repository.  They must
> be working hard to build their repository up.   I tried ALIEN on one app but
> it didn't help the install.
>
>> It upgraded 439 packages and still rebooted.  I wish I
>> could have said the same for Mepis.
>
> This benchmark is a mixed bag for any repository based distro, or CD sets as
> well.   I ran KNOPPIX 3.7 for a time and it successfullly upgraded KDE (450
> or so packages) the first time I tried it, but not the next.   Three out of
> four times I successfully upgraded to KDE 3.50 (340 or so apps) in MEPIS.
> The fourth time hung on a repository and broke several apps, but I was able
> to clean up the broken apps and redo the upgrade successfully.
>
> It has been my experience with a variety of distros that a clean install is
> always better than upgrading a previous release with the new one.   Out of 22
> versions of SuSE (5.2 to 8.0 IIRC) the upgrades went so poorly that I settled
> on always reinstalling.  Dittos with Mandrake from 7.2 to 10.0.
>
> However, because of the quality of the Debian based repository, which the
> Ubuntu repository shares, I did a repository upgrade of SimplyMEPIS-.3.3 all
> the way through to SimplyMEPIS-6.0 and all went well every time I upgraded.
> But, I did not upgrade from the 3.x version to the 6.x version.  I did a
> clean install of SimplyMEPIS-6.0b1 and since then I have used the upgrade
> route to bring my installation up to the latest files in the MEPIS section of
> the repository.  All without incident.

I have seen warnings not to us Ubuntu with Debian, they have gone done too far
on separate paths.

>> This is one reason that I tried
>> PClinuxOS out. It is not working at displaying DVD's as well as I would
>> like, but then it may not like the particular computer that I put it on.
>
> I, too, found that multimedia didn't work well with PCLinuxOS.   At the time
> couldn't find the appropriate decoder, navigator or windows media files.
>
>> You can try it out since it comes as a live CD.
>
> Ya, I tried that too before I installed it.
>
>> .......  Mepis may return to a computer of mine, if it comes with a
>> good upgrade technique.
>> I  get tired of having to reinstall everything when a new version of a distro
>> comes out.
>
> I've developed the reinstall to an artform.  ;-)   I convert my email
> contacts
> to a cvs file and then I burn a DVD of my entire home account.  After the
> reinstall the email contacts get set up first, which usually takes two or
> three minutes.  Then I copy those files from the DVD that I want to keep
> current on my home account,   Usually OOo files, pdfs and some media files.

I'll give it some thought again. It is interesting, how SuSE stays on my
computers, though, and give me the least headaches, in the end.  Reinstalls
uusally en up as modern art for me. :-(

>> Oh, PClinuxOS did have the Bibletime program.
> Ya, it was the first one I installed.
>
>> If you want
>> something with a really big selection of programs, I guess you can't beat
>> Debian, and I have that sitting on a section of my hard-drive too.  It got
>> there via Knoppix 4.0.2.  It's a rather robust distro, and I wouldn't go
>
> I downloaded KNOPPIX 5.0 and tried it out.  I really couldn't tell any
> difference between it and 4.0, except for some minor menu changes, IIRC.

As I said, 5.01 seems to be buggy, though it's boot up time is faster, I think.
I still use 4.0.2 when I want to use Knoppix, and that's what I install Debian
with.

>> around slamming it very much, though there are some things I'm not happy
>> about, such as having to have printers, ethernet, and USB's plugged in
>> before you boot up to have them recognized after the boot up.  ---Jim
>
> mmm... I haven't experienced that problem.   My printer is connected via a
> wireless port and is not detected during install.  After I make my wireless
> connection I run the CUPS network printer install and after that it never
> fails to connect during boot up.
> GreyGeek

I never noticed that 4.0.2 ever recognized a USB stick unless it was plugged in
before boot-up, and I found that my printer worked on the Knoppix/Debian
Hard-disk install only when I had the printer turned on before boot-up as well.
---Jim