[huskerlug] Re: PCLinuxOS

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:14:58 -0500

On Sunday 25 June 2006 3:38 am, Jim Worrest wrote:

=2E...

> I have seen warnings not to us Ubuntu with Debian, they have gone done too
> far on separate paths.

That's what I have heard, too.   Ubuntu has its own repository, which is ma=
de=20
by drawing from Debian's and updating to fit into Ubuntu.   SimplyMEPIS-6.0=
=20
is based on the Ubuntu, with MEPIS detection, install and maintenance scrip=
ts=20
added.  MEPIS is also a KDE distro and, IMO, is better than KDEUbuntu.

=2E....

> I'll give it some thought again. It is interesting, how SuSE stays on my
> computers, though, and give me the least headaches, in the end. =A0Reinst=
alls
> uusally en up as modern art for me. :-(

SUSE is (Was?  I'm hearing a LOT of complaints about 10.1's quality) a grea=
t=20
distro, but Novell has disabled  DVD playing, and one has to replace the=20
players and add the special files.

=2E...

> As I said, 5.01 seems to be buggy, though it's boot up time is faster, I
> think. I still use 4.0.2 when I want to use Knoppix, and that's what I
> install Debian with.

=2E...

> I never noticed that 4.0.2 ever recognized a USB stick unless it was
> plugged in before boot-up, and I found that my printer worked on the
> Knoppix/Debian Hard-disk install only when I had the printer turned on
> before boot-up as well. ---Jim

MEPIS used to have a problem detecting a USB memory stick unless it was=20
plugged in during the reboot.   I had to use fdisk and umount manually to=20
mount it.   But,  since MEPIS 3.4.3 the USB detection has worked perfectly.=
 =20
That is also true for MEPIS 6.0.
GreyGeek