[huskerlug] Re: PCLinuxOS

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 03:50:05 -0500

Patrick wrote:
> I run Kubuntu5.04 and 5.10, Suse10.x, DSL, Debian
> Sarge, Whax3.0, Knoppix3.4 (has some tools, now
> dropped in Knoppix!), Knoppix 3.9 and 4.0.2, (all on
> 10 computers); OS X, OS9 (on my 3 MACs), and, a dual
> boot P92 and XP Pro system, and I prefer to hand out
> PCLinuxOS-p92 Livecds.
>
> I like the PClinuxOS because it is as accomplished in
> the graphics it uses, and has the level of multimedia
> ease-of-use, close to Suse performance.  I hand it out
> to all my noobs.  It is based upon Mandriva, and the
> major person responsible, TexStar, worked for
> Mandriva.
>
> You can simply get almost any Linux application, very
> easily, by listing it in Synaptic, and committing to
> the download!  I change repositories by simply editing
> the mirror list!  Thus, I change available
> applications!
>
> Really, quite simple! Install a copy and play with it!

Except for a Tandy computer emulator called XTRS, I don't have much reason to
port anything to PClinuxOS.  I am surprised I could get the monitor to go into
a deep sleep mode while on the CD, but not after it was put on the hard-drive,
there may be an answer to that question somewhere.

PCLinuxOS does work very well. It seems to have all the important programs that
you would want for a Desktop system.  I suppose what I grip about --and I
shouldn't at all!--is that it doesn't work like SuSE.  I have gotten use to
some of it's peculiarities, that is, what makes it different from SuSE, I'm not
displeased with the way it works.  Since it's one 3 distros I have on
hard-drive, I can pick and choose.  It does seem to be a reliable OS, and I
wouldn't discourage anyone in trying it out and using it.

SuSE 10.2 alpha (10.1 has some bugs in it) is something I'm going to try out on
a 64 bit computer, except I got to get that put together. I had to really look
under some stones to get everything I wanted for SuSE 9.3, but I managed to do
so.  I don't think they ever came out for the fix for infamous not recognizing
the floppy drive.  I just usually use xdosemu to transfer files from floppies
to that distro, though.  ---Jim