[huskerlug] Re: PCLinuxOS

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:13:56 -0500

On Friday 23 June 2006 4:04 pm, Jim Worrest wrote:
>       Well, it has 5,000 apps in it's library.  It does NOT encourage people
> look outside it's repository.  You may have noted it didn't have ALIEN in
> it's repository.

When I ran it there were only 3,900 and change in its repository.  They must
be working hard to build their repository up.   I tried ALIEN on one app but
it didn't help the install.

> It upgraded 439 packages and still rebooted.  I wish I
> could have said the same for Mepis.

This benchmark is a mixed bag for any repository based distro, or CD sets as
well.   I ran KNOPPIX 3.7 for a time and it successfullly upgraded KDE (450
or so packages) the first time I tried it, but not the next.   Three out of
four times I successfully upgraded to KDE 3.50 (340 or so apps) in MEPIS.
The fourth time hung on a repository and broke several apps, but I was able
to clean up the broken apps and redo the upgrade successfully.

It has been my experience with a variety of distros that a clean install is
always better than upgrading a previous release with the new one.   Out of 22
versions of SuSE (5.2 to 8.0 IIRC) the upgrades went so poorly that I settled
on always reinstalling.  Dittos with Mandrake from 7.2 to 10.0.

However, because of the quality of the Debian based repository, which the
Ubuntu repository shares, I did a repository upgrade of SimplyMEPIS-.3.3 all
the way through to SimplyMEPIS-6.0 and all went well every time I upgraded.
But, I did not upgrade from the 3.x version to the 6.x version.  I did a
clean install of SimplyMEPIS-6.0b1 and since then I have used the upgrade
route to bring my installation up to the latest files in the MEPIS section of
the repository.  All without incident.

> This is one reason that I tried
> PClinuxOS out. It is not working at displaying DVD's as well as I would
> like, but then it may not like the particular computer that I put it on.

I, too, found that multimedia didn't work well with PCLinuxOS.   At the time I
couldn't find the appropriate decoder, navigator or windows media files.

> You can try it out since it comes as a live CD.

Ya, I tried that too before I installed it.

>.......  Mepis may return to a computer of mine, if it comes with a
>good upgrade technique.
>I  get tired of having to reinstall everything when a new version of a distro
> comes out.

I've developed the reinstall to an artform.  ;-)   I convert my email contacts
to a cvs file and then I burn a DVD of my entire home account.  After the
reinstall the email contacts get set up first, which usually takes two or
three minutes.  Then I copy those files from the DVD that I want to keep
current on my home account,   Usually OOo files, pdfs and some media files.

> Oh, PClinuxOS did have the Bibletime program.
Ya, it was the first one I installed.

> If you want
> something with a really big selection of programs, I guess you can't beat
> Debian, and I have that sitting on a section of my hard-drive too.  It got
> there via Knoppix 4.0.2.  It's a rather robust distro, and I wouldn't go

I downloaded KNOPPIX 5.0 and tried it out.  I really couldn't tell any
difference between it and 4.0, except for some minor menu changes, IIRC.

> around slamming it very much, though there are some things I'm not happy
> about, such as having to have printers, ethernet, and USB's plugged in
> before you boot up to have them recognized after the boot up.  ---Jim

mmm... I haven't experienced that problem.   My printer is connected via a
wireless port and is not detected during install.  After I make my wireless
connection I run the CUPS network printer install and after that it never
fails to connect during boot up.
GreyGeek