[huskerlug] Re: Mandrake 9.1 Goes GOLD

  • From: Carl Lundstedt <clundst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 26 Mar 2003 16:26:01 -0600

You can't configure it using draksound?

I don't know if I can be any help here since I've NOT had too much
trouble with soundcards under sndconfig since RH5.0.

You *should* hear "This is Linus Torvalds and I pronounce
Linux...Linux."

Can you play a wav file after sndconfig squawks at you? For example

[clundst@workstation clundst]$ play sounds/kick_a.wav

Maybe *just* the midi driver is working/broken...
Are you in X or at the console?  I seem to recall having problems with
xmms using the soundcard because KDE had usurped the device.  Is that
what is going on?  (Drop to console and try the play <filename>.wav)

What sound card is it?

Carl Lundstedt
UNL
On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 15:55, Jim Worrest wrote:
>       Carl, or anyone else for that matter can answer this.  I am
> curious about the sound configuration on the Madrake
> 9.1 or 9.0 and Redhat 8.  I got the beta of the Mandrake 9.1? and
> Pink Tie 8 from Cheapbytes.  Neither of them wanted to configure
> the sound card except by using sndconfig.   When you use that
> program and get some unrecognizable noise out of the computer,
> does that mean the computer sound is accurately configured, or is
> something recognizable is suppose to come out of it?  I played
> with Peanut and now I don't remember if  it had some pleasant
> sound come out of it or not when the sound was configured, but it
> did seem to work.
>       Anyway, I would be curious about that.  ---Jim
> [I hope this doesn't appear twice but when I went to download
> messages, this did not show up!]
>

> On Wednesday 26 March 2003 14:10, you wrote:
> > I have *NOT* tested these isos to see if they are ok (yet) but
> > if you'd like to try them, the brand spankin' new Mandrake 9.1
> > iso files are up on my iso mirror at
> > http://crop.unl.edu/hlug
> >
> > If you download these and burn them, let me know if they worked.
> >  I won't have time to test them until this weekend.
> >
> > BTW,
> > I will shortly be removing older versions of Mandrake and
> > RedHat.
> >
> > Cheers,

Carl Lundstedt <clundst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
University of Nebraska