[hllug] Re: Scanner install

  • From: herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:28:11 -0600

Lee Parmeter wrote:
Herb:

As a general rule, Visioneer scanners are not supported on Linux, no
drivers are available.

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-VISIONEER

On my way to Linux I had to discard my Visioneer 7600 for an Epson
Perfection 2400.

Both HP and Epson scanners have good support on Linux.

Some HP all-in-ones are also well supported. I recently bought my daughter
a cheap ($59 - Office Depot) HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One Printer, Scanner,
Copier for her birthday. For Ubuntu 8.04.1 I had to download, and build the
latest hplip driver from HP's website, but it works perfectly. The printer
should work "out of the box" in Ubuntu 8.10.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

-Lee

herb cee wrote:
Thanks a lot Lee I had shied from that page before so went back and thought ya know i bought that Scanner cause it had good resolution and 32bit color but that was near 10yrs ago time for replacing anyway I think or I could run it from the WinMe box I have hooked to the router and run the scanner from there since a .jpg is pretty much a .jpeg both also handle the other graphic files but I do like .jpg for final output portability.

Anyway I think I will pass on getting that deep for now. I think I will go with the on hand work-a-roun & fire up the winduh's box and finish my current 'Holy Moses' project, I call it 'cloud art' based on cloud formations of the NOAA sat .jpg's. Actually my fav lightweight photo prog is MCI-II and it does not work in wine yet so I could also use that prog to save time over the really good but complicated to operate Gimp, Another + is the 'ol Wacom drawing pad is (as I remember) the cable spliced into the mouse serial Ps2 port and it works on this Me box. I just don't have enough cockpit time yet but it's fun.
Thanks agin bro
herb c