[hllug] Re: HP all-in-one

  • From: Don Crowder <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:02:42 -0600

Lee Parmeter wrote:
Don Crowder wrote:
Lee, Betty Davee, who came to one of our lug meetings a few months back
and to whom I gave a computer loaded with PCLinuxOS, got an HP
all-in-one for Christmas which isn't supported by her OS.  Can you talk
me thought the process you mentioned in your reply to Herb?  Sounds like
that would get her printer online.
What version of PCLinuxOS is she using? It appears that only the 2006
version is supported by the auto-installer.
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html

I did a manual install so I could be sure a ".deb" package would be build.

If the manual install method is required or chosen, it may be too
complicated for her to do. In this case, I would recommend she or someone
bring her computer to the next meeting and we can do it for her.

Manual install instructions for PCLinuxOS are very similar to Debian/Ubuntu.
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/pclinuxos.html

In my case, there was an error during .configure step that required another
dev package (libsnmp-dev) that was not installed in step 2.C.

You also have to uninstall hplip completely (both packages) before the
"make install" step.

Instead of executing the "make install", install "checkinstall" first.

Then run "checkinstall" instead of the "make install" step. checkinstall
will build and install a ".deb" package that can be managed with apt/synaptic.

Once the package is installed, you use "hp-setup" (sudo hp-setup) to find
and setup the printer. There is also an APP put in the Menu tree that
enables you to print, scan and etc all from one APP.

I just realized that PCLinuxOS is RPM based. "checkinstall" can also be
used to create RPM packages.

Thanks Lee. I'll try to arrange that. Lisa wants to get her HP all-in-one up and running too so this may be a 'new adventure'. :)

--
Don Crowder
http://www.don-guitar.com