[hllug] Re: HP all-in-one

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:17:10 -0600

Lee Parmeter wrote:
> Don Crowder wrote:
>> Lee, Betty Davee, who came to one of our lug meetings a few months back
>> and to whom I gave a computer loaded with PCLinuxOS, got an HP
>> all-in-one for Christmas which isn't supported by her OS.  Can you talk
>> me thought the process you mentioned in your reply to Herb?  Sounds like
>> that would get her printer online.
>
> What version of PCLinuxOS is she using? It appears that only the 2006
> version is supported by the auto-installer.
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html
>
> I did a manual install so I could be sure a ".deb" package would be build.
>
> If the manual install method is required or chosen, it may be too
> complicated for her to do. In this case, I would recommend she or someone
> bring her computer to the next meeting and we can do it for her.
>
> Manual install instructions for PCLinuxOS are very similar to Debian/Ubuntu.
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/pclinuxos.html
>
> In my case, there was an error during .configure step that required another
> dev package (libsnmp-dev) that was not installed in step 2.C.
>
> You also have to uninstall hplip completely (both packages) before the
> "make install" step.
>
> Instead of executing the "make install", install "checkinstall" first.
>
> Then run "checkinstall" instead of the "make install" step. checkinstall
> will build and install a ".deb" package that can be managed with apt/synaptic.
>
> Once the package is installed, you use "hp-setup" (sudo hp-setup) to find
> and setup the printer. There is also an APP put in the Menu tree that
> enables you to print, scan and etc all from one APP.

I just realized that PCLinuxOS is RPM based. "checkinstall" can also be
used to create RPM packages.

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter
"God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy!"
- Lee Parmeter