[hllug] Scanner install

  • From: herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:29:20 -0600

I guess I am just to dumb to understand but I have been reading google pages for 2 days (Ubuntu 8.04 scanner install) and cannot get this scanner to work I really do not understand 'sane or Ubuntu's xsane how to. I just get no such file or command in most cases and I am using sudo to give root priviledge but looking with terminal shows

herb@Celf:~$ sane-find-scanner

 # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
 # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
 # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
 # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a7 [Visioneer], product=0x0211 [OneTouch 7600 USB]) at libusb:002:008 # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

 # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

 # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
 # can't be detected by this program.

 # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
 # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
 # necessary.
herb@Celf:~$ ls .sane
xsane  xscanimage
So the xsane folder is empty, the xscanimage has one file: xscanimage.rc

From Gimp when I sellect file/aquire/xsane/ I get no scanner present.
When I use file/aquire/xscanimage nothing happens at all.

This was a fix also that did not work:
herb@Celf:~$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04a7:0211 Visioneer OneTouch 7600 Scanner Bus 002 Device 007: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 (shows the scanner is setup at Bus 002 Device 008 and this was the CLI command suggested:

herb@Celf:~$ sudo chmod 660 /proc/bus/usb/002/008
[sudo] password for herb:
chmod: cannot access `/proc/bus/usb/002/008': No such file or directory
herb@Celf:~$
However looking with file browser I see /proc/bus/usb but /usb is empty. I assume I need somehow to create those two files /002/008

Trying to understand I believe either a driver is failing to be installed or some file does not have the permission set for me. However both sane and xsane are fully installed according to Snap-pk-mgr including utils and libusb and libsane

I'm real unsure of my safe ground in using the CLI plus I want to know more about how it hooks in so please be verbose.

Thanks
herb c