[hllug] Re: Scanner install

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:33:21 -0600

Herb:

As a general rule, Visioneer scanners are not supported on Linux, no
drivers are available.

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-VISIONEER

On my way to Linux I had to discard my Visioneer 7600 for an Epson
Perfection 2400.

Both HP and Epson scanners have good support on Linux.

Some HP all-in-ones are also well supported. I recently bought my daughter
a cheap ($59 - Office Depot) HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One Printer, Scanner,
Copier for her birthday. For Ubuntu 8.04.1 I had to download, and build the
latest hplip driver from HP's website, but it works perfectly. The printer
should work "out of the box" in Ubuntu 8.10.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

-Lee

herb cee wrote:
> I guess I am just to dumb to understand but I have been reading google
> pages for 2 days (Ubuntu 8.04 scanner install) and cannot get this
> scanner to work I really do not understand 'sane or Ubuntu's xsane how
> to. I just get no such file or command in most cases and I am using sudo
> to give root priviledge but looking with terminal shows
> herb@Celf:~$ sane-find-scanner
>
>  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>
>  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
> sure that
>  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a7 [Visioneer], product=0x0211 [OneTouch
> 7600 USB]) at libusb:002:008
>  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> supported by
>  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
>  # can't be detected by this program.
>
>  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
>  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
>  # necessary.
> herb@Celf:~$ ls .sane
> xsane  xscanimage
> So the xsane folder is empty, the xscanimage has one file: xscanimage.rc
>
> From Gimp when I sellect file/aquire/xsane/ I get no scanner present.
> When I use file/aquire/xscanimage nothing happens at all.
>
> This was a fix also that did not work:
> herb@Celf:~$ lsusb
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04a7:0211
> Visioneer OneTouch 7600 Scanner
> Bus 002 Device 007: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1
> Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> (shows the scanner is setup at Bus 002 Device 008 and this was the CLI
> command suggested:
>
> herb@Celf:~$ sudo chmod 660 /proc/bus/usb/002/008
> [sudo] password for herb:
> chmod: cannot access `/proc/bus/usb/002/008': No such file or directory
> herb@Celf:~$
> However looking with file browser I see  /proc/bus/usb but /usb is
> empty. I assume I need somehow to create those two files /002/008
>

> Trying to understand I believe either a driver is failing to be
> installed or some file does not have the permission set for me. However
> both sane and xsane are fully installed according to Snap-pk-mgr
> including utils and libusb and libsane
>
> I'm real unsure of my safe ground in using the CLI plus I want to know
> more about how it hooks in  so please be verbose.
>
> Thanks
> herb c

Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter
"God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy!"
- Lee Parmeter