[hllug] Re: Is anybody out there?

  • From: Don Crowder <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 19:43:12 -0600

On 02/04/2014 05:33 PM, hc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I've been peffectly content with gedit and discovered it will run on windose but without the plug-ins and no spell checker but i do not use win very often usually just to get me out of a jam when I have blown grub or something else vital and need help.

SciTE is a nice Open Source editor which is available for Windows and is also found in the repo of most Linux distros.

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

Back in the days when I was still using Windows my favorite editor was the free version of NoteTab. I purchased both the Standard and Professional versions, mainly to show support for fookes.com, but I always went back to using the free version because I liked it best.

http://www.notetab.com/notetab-light.php  (Runs under wine but not 100%)

Another Windows editor I'm very fond of, mainly because it's executable file is very tiny (just a shade over 6kb in size), making it the leanest, meanest and fastest editor available for Windows, is The Gun.

http://www.movsd.com/thegun.htm

Even more awesome is the fact that it runs beautifully under wine.

Another very popular small, fast editor for Windows is MetaPad.

http://liquidninja.com/metapad/ (Just checked, this one also runs under wine)

Once upon a time I sort-of collected Windows editors. Each of these is, for one reason or another, worthy of note (if you feel like taking the time to look them over).
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/edxor.htm
http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/
http://www.editpadlite.com/
http://xtort.net/freeware/xtort-software/xint/