[hipl-users] Re: Using DNS with HIPL

  • From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:01:50 -0500

Miika Komu wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi,

I seem to recall a patched BIND to support HITs in DNS.

http://infrahip.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch28.html
http://infrahip.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch29.html

I read these a number of times and was not sure what to do.

Then there is point 7 in ch13 about putting AAAA records in DNS.

This is depcrated and since we can now support real HI records, there is no reason no mess up IPv6 records with HIP.

Where are these HI records going? I only see HIT records.

> I have
my own server running, I can put up AAAA records for say target.htt. I could try Opportunistic mode with this, or is there someway to also store the HIT? There is the comment in ch13 about no HI support in DNS, but then there is ch28 about formatting HIs to store in BIND9. Oh, I am running BIND 9.3.4.

I believe Oleg answered to this already.

Btw, Oleg is improving on mobility extensions for bind... stay tuned!

So how do I get away from using /etc/hosts and /etc/hip/hosts?

By using DNS or OpenDHT.

Along with dnsproxy? Or is hipconf run normal <app> wedging the HIT substitution for the IPv6 address (or LSI for v4)? In otherwords, once I follow Oleg's instructions, do I still run dnsproxy?

Or will I still use /etc/hip/hosts with the IPv6 records in DNS?

You can comment the entire /etc/hip/hosts file to make sure that it is not used.

So the file is still needed, but nothing in it. Pretty much like /etc/hosts.

How do I handle LSIs and can DNSPROXY wedge into this to help as well?

The dns proxy should be able to return LSIs to IPv4-based apps.

This implies I still run DNSPROXY after putting the HIT in DNS (and an LSI as an A record?).

Finally of course there is DHT. Does OpenDHT support IPv6 or do I have to run my own Bamboo servers (my hosts only have IPv6 configured).

We have IPv6 patches for Bamboo from Xiaopeng.

I saw that pointer and was wondering if I would need to run my own Bamboo servers for IPv6 and if so would I need the JRE or JDK (and v6 update 5 or update 10) to get it working.

Blerta promised to ack on the list when our test servers are running Bamboo over IPv6.

OK. How about TLA over IPv6 too :)