[hipl-users] Unsure about correct usage of HITs and dummy0 interface

  • From: Stephen Herborn <stephen.herborn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:34:27 +1000

Hi,

I did some experiments on HIPL in mid-2005 and have recently come back to extend on them. I'm now using the latest release of HIPL which is a bit different to the version I used last year. I am confused by the dummy0 interface and 'HITs' that are assigned to the dummy0 interface (e.g. "1197:fbdd:d462:...."), what is their purpose and why do they differ from the 'traditional' HITs (e.g. "40db:40c7:5b5e:....") that are returned after running 'hipconf add hi default'? Which HITs should I be using for the /etc/hip/hosts file or 'hipconf add map' command?

Here is exactly what I am doing to test HIPL:

1. crash: modprobe hipmod; hipconf add hi default; hipd
2. oops: modprobe hipmod; hipconf add hi default; hipd
3. crash: ping6 IPaddr_of_oops (just to check that that the routing tables etc. are OK)
4. oops: ping6 IPaddr_of_crash (just to check that that the routing tables etc. are OK)
5. crash: hipconf add map HIT_of_oops IPaddr_of_oops
6. oops: hipconf add map HIT_of_crash IPaddr_of_crash
7. crash: ping6 HIT_of_oops

* When I try the above using any of the dummy0 HITs the ICMP echo requests are passed to the local dummy0 interface, but nothing happens after that.

* When I try the above using any of the "traditional" HITs the ICMP echo requests are sent out from eth0 of crash, and received by eth0 of oops, but then dropped (dmesg says "ICMPv6 checksum failed").

Would much appreciate any hints,
regards,
stephen herborn