[hipl-users] Re: Starting problem with HIPL-UML-kernel

  • From: Miika Komu <miika@xxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:33:40 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Teemu Koponen wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2005, at 3:39, Väisänen Teemu wrote:
>
> >  ubda: unknown partition table
> > Initializing stdio console driver
> >
> > Have I missed or done some point wrong? People have had these or this
> > kind of messages in UML-users mailing list, but I can't find out
> > solution.
>
> This is purely an UML issue. It sounds like you might have a problem
> with your /dev that prevents the init to proceed. Some ready-made
> rootfs's assume the kernel to automount devfs to /dev while some prefer
> modern hotplug based /dev. The latter requires you to prepare an
> initrd, though. Assuming you have (now obsolete) devfs built-in kernel,
> you could try to pass devfs=mount as an argument to your kernel.
>
> Once you get beyond this, you might have to fiddle with console tty
> configurations to get login prompt working properly.

I have written some (unofficial) notes about how to set UML working with
HIP:

http://gaijin.iki.fi/hipl/kwiki/index.cgi?UmlPages

At least, you can find a .config and a premade virtual filesystem (on the
courtesy of Kristian) from the HOWTO.

--
Miika Komu              miika@xxxxxx          http://www.iki.fi/miika/