[hipl-users] Re: CONFIG_HIP and CONFIG_PREEMPT disappearing from .config -file

  • From: "Peder Chr. Norgaard" <Peder.Chr.Norgaard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:24:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Mika Kousa wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Väisänen Teemu wrote:
>
> -> Hi all.
> ->
> -> I have Fedora Core 3 and 2.6.9-1.667 kernel.
> ->
> -> I have a problems compiling UML-HIPL-kernel.
> ->
> -> I have downloaded hipl-complete.0.1.2.tar.gz and uncompressed it, so
> -> there is hipl-0.1.2 -folder. I have also done:
> ->
> -> # cd hipl-0.1.2/linux
> -> # make mrproper
> -> # make mrproper ARCH=um
> ->
> -> ..clip..
> ->
> -> # make xconfig ARCH=um
> -> or
> -> # make linux ARCH=um
> -> says:
> ->
> -> "...
> -> scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/um/Kconfig
> -> net/ipv6/Kconfig:87:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'HIP'
> -> refer to undefined symbol 'PREEMPT'
> -> ..."
> ->
> -> ..clip..
> ->
> -> so compiled kernel would't and doesn't support HIP...
> ->
> -> Does someone know what is the problem and/or solution for this?
>
> I am not a HIPL developer anymore (hopefully the current developers can
> answer better soon), but I think the kernel and the kernel patches HIPL
> provides do not have UML support by default. You might need a separate UML
> patches for the corresponding kernel. "make xconfig" (without ARCH=um) for
> normal processors should work fine.
>
> The solution is to test HIPL in a real host or see if there are UML
> patches available for the corresponding kernel and see if it can be
> applied successfully to the HIPL kernel.

I usually just edit the net/ipv6/Kconfig before building UML version of
the HIPL kernel.   You remove the "select PREEMPT" line from the "config
HIP" stanza.   You also need to remove the X86_PC and REGPARM elements
from the "depends" line.  I guess this could be worked into the Kconfig
file but I know too little about the syntax to do it myself.

best regards

--
Peder Chr. Nørgaard             Senior System Developer, M. Sc.
Ericsson Denmark A/S, Telebit Division