[hipl-users] Re: CONFIG_HIP and CONFIG_PREEMPT disappearing from .config -file

  • From: Mika Kousa <mkousa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:09:35 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Väisänen Teemu wrote:

-> Hi all.
->
-> I have Fedora Core 3 and 2.6.9-1.667 kernel.
->
-> I have a problems compiling UML-HIPL-kernel.
->
-> I have downloaded hipl-complete.0.1.2.tar.gz and uncompressed it, so
-> there is hipl-0.1.2 -folder. I have also done:
->
-> # cd hipl-0.1.2/linux
-> # make mrproper
-> # make mrproper ARCH=um
->
-> ..clip..
->
-> # make xconfig ARCH=um
-> or
-> # make linux ARCH=um
-> says:
->
-> "...
-> scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/um/Kconfig
-> net/ipv6/Kconfig:87:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'HIP'
-> refer to undefined symbol 'PREEMPT'
-> ..."
->
-> ..clip..
->
-> so compiled kernel would't and doesn't support HIP...
->
-> Does someone know what is the problem and/or solution for this?

I am not a HIPL developer anymore (hopefully the current developers can
answer better soon), but I think the kernel and the kernel patches HIPL
provides do not have UML support by default. You might need a separate UML
patches for the corresponding kernel. "make xconfig" (without ARCH=um) for
normal processors should work fine.

The solution is to test HIPL in a real host or see if there are UML
patches available for the corresponding kernel and see if it can be
applied successfully to the HIPL kernel.