[hipl-users] Re: Instructions on using TLA

  • From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, joakim.koskela@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:02:15 -0400

Joakim Koskela wrote:
On Tuesday 09 September 2008 23:13:37 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?

I was then supplied the text leading up to this and was asked the File
to patch

Now what?

Hm, it seems like the directory structure wasn't what patch expected. Might be that centos has some sort of extra directory abstraction before the actual sources in their source package. It would be really good to have a centos installation here right now, but when applying the patch, you should be in a path so that, for example, the xfrm4_mode_tunnel.c file is found (relative to your current position [path]) at net/ipv4/xfrm4_mode_tunnel.c

As I noted recently, I took a different approach to the patching, following the instructions on the Centos wiki for building a custom kernel. This required copying the patch into ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES and altering the SPEC file. In the BUILD/kernel-2.6.18 directory there are two directories of interest: linux-2.6.18.i386 and linux-2.6.18.i686. From where the .rej files are, it appears that the net directory in i386 was used (interestingly when I ran the build as root the one I crated in /usr/src/redhat the one in i686 was used).

So it appears that the extra directory is managed if you follow the custom kernel instructions in the Centos wiki. But then I am stuck with all these build errors. My 'hunch' is that there have been patches from Redhat to these files since you wrote your patch that throw your patch off.

Patch #40000 (centos-5.2-hipmod-sleep-beet-and-interfamily-all-in-one.patch): 1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv4/xfrm4_output.c.rej
2 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv4/esp4.c.rej
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv6/udp.c.rej
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv6/tcp_ipv6.c.rej
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv6/esp6.c.rej
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv6/icmp.c.rej
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/xfrm/xfrm_state.c.rej
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file include/net/xfrm.h.rej
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file include/linux/net.h.rej