[hipl-users] Re: Instructions on using TLA

  • From: Joakim Koskela <joakim.koskela@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:57:56 +0300

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 07:25:30 Andrey Khurri wrote:

> This will download the hipl--main--2.6 tree to your directory. Inside in
> patches/kernel/ subdirectory you will find the kernel patches. You might
> also change 'main' branch to any other like 'userspace' etc.
>
> If you want to commit the code back to the repository you have to have
> an account on our server because then it uses sftp instead of http in
> the second command.
>
> > Also I need the IPsec BEET kernel patch for Centos (RHEL 5).
>
> Not sure about that

..having never done this on centos, here's my advice:

After successfully retrieving the sources using arch, get the kernel source for
your version of centos. I guess it
would be something like:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source#head-281fb35a7610364136e0486abb595360561f6ae2

Apply the appropriate patch for that kernel version (centos 5 seems to be using
kernel version 2.6.18, so in that
case):

$ cd path_to_the_kernel_sources/
$ patch -p 1 <
path_to_hipl_sources/patches/kernel/2.6.18.0/hipmod-sleep-beet-and-interfamily-all-in-one.patch

And yes, note that for 2.6.18 you need to use the 2.6.18.0 patch (there are
some other 2.6.18 patches there as well
which I should probably be removed from the repo to avoid confusion..)

Check that the kernel configuration is correct (enable beet mode etc). But if I
remember correctly, 2.6.18 is queer in
the way that there isn't a separate configuration option for esp beet (all
other kernels have it), instead it's bundled
with the tunnel mode. So you need to be sure you have esp tunnel mode enabled
in the kernel configuration.

Here's an overview of the other options you should set (don't worry if you
can't find them all as it's compiled from a
number of different kernel versions, just try to get close enough):

http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch04.html

Compile & install!

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

> > thanks.