[hashcash] Re: status of hashcash version 1?

  • From: John Honan <jhonan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:09:22 +0100

Eric S. Johansson wrote:

from my perspective dollar spent on hardware effectively don't matter. What matters is the volume ratio between stamped vs. unstamped mail. The reason for this is that spam is a direct-mail campaign. Cash flow is a function of response rate. You want to double your cash flow, double your volume. conversely, you can drop cash flow by shrinking volume which means look at how much hashcash can slow spammer volume. that's the only factor that seems to matter and is why I argue for 20 second stamps to start for high-end machines.

---eric

I've been having a think about hardware costs in the whole spammer profitability model. Surely hardware costs must be included in the calculations. If the spammer wants to double the number of emails he can stamp and send per day, he just doubles the number of machines he has. So, how profitable would a spammer be sitting in a room with say, 20 high end machines doing minting? - But he will have to invest money in these machines, which is why I think hardware spend should be included in profitability calcs - Unless I'm misunderstanding this.