[hashcash] Re: status of hashcash version 1?

  • From: Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:11:34 -0400

>>>>> "Jonathan" == Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[...]

Jonathan> However, there's a tricky question with x86 and PPC machines,
Jonathan> because there are carefully hand-optimised cores for most of
Jonathan> the newer models - eg. the MMX cores will run on anything from
Jonathan> a Pentium-MMX and K6 upwards (but not a Pentium Pro), and will
Jonathan> almost certainly be the fastest cores available (at least
Jonathan> until someone writes an SSE2 version).

OK, just to double-check, to enable the MMX core, I just need to use the
-mmmx flag, and if it runs on a non-MMX machine, it won't use the MMX
instructions, right?

[...]

Jonathan> For a PPC package, optimise for 604e or 750, depending on your
Jonathan> target OS - MacOS X won't run on a 604e, which is otherwise
Jonathan> the most complex scalar-only PPC.  The code will still be
Jonathan> fairly optimal for other PPCs, because the PPC architecture
Jonathan> and the Motorola processors' short pipelines are quite
Jonathan> forgiving.  Don't forget to enable Altivec at the compiler -
Jonathan> the code will automatically determine whether it's present at
Jonathan> runtime.

What flag do I need to enable altivec?  Just -maltivec?

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA