[hashcash] Re: status of hashcash version 1?

  • From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 05:20:50 +0100

Hubert> I have access to an Alpha that I can test out.  What do I need
Hubert> to do?

hy3chan@alpha0:~/hashcash-1.00$ ./fastmint_benchtest
Rate Name (* machine default)
74870 ANSI Compact 1-pipe
70191 ANSI Standard 1-pipe *
42353 ANSI Compact 2-pipe
30967 ANSI Standard 2-pipe
--- PowerPC Altivec Standard 1x4-pipe (Not available on this machine)
Best minter: ANSI Compact 1-pipe (74870 hashes/sec)

This is on an Alpha EV4 (21064 -- I think the earliest type of Alpha),
approx. 200 MHz.

Hmmm, you don't seem to have the latest version there. Take a look at some of my more recent posts, you should find an archive attached to one of them, which you can overwrite part of the v1-rc with. You'll also need to add stuff to the Makefile so that it builds properly, because there are additional cores with their own source and object files.

Still, that seems to work OK (the benchmark includes a sanity check on the result), even if it isn't particularly fast. You might want to try using different compiler options and/or a better compiler - register-rich architectures should generally be faster with the "Standard" cores, not the "Compact".

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/