[hashcash] Re: status of hashcash version 1?

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:41:43 -0400

Adam Back wrote:

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 01:11:34PM -0400, Hubert Chan wrote:

Jonathan> a Pentium-MMX and K6 upwards (but not a Pentium Pro), and will
Jonathan> almost certainly be the fastest cores available (at least
Jonathan> until someone writes an SSE2 version).

OK, just to double-check, to enable the MMX core, I just need to use the
-mmmx flag, and if it runs on a non-MMX machine, it won't use the MMX
instructions, right?

> I think I found when trying this kind of thing earlier that you get a > core dump if it runs on hardware that does not have feature you are > asking for. > > There is a difference between optimize for pentium (but still run on > 486), and use SSE instructions; if the instructions are not there, > unlike floating point there is no emulation / alternate code managed > by compiler and it just bombs!

is it possible to have multiple machine optimized images of the library with a smart front-end to route calls to the right library?

---eric