[hashcash] Re: Opportunistic signatures - a proposed design

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:58:32 -0400

Atom 'Smasher' wrote:

the hole is a spammer subscribing to the list, and sending out as much spam as they can, before they get turned off. what's the solution for this... spam filters on the lists? moderated lists? unmoderated posts granted to users after they've "proven" their value to the list? new members must be voted in?

collecting addresses and spoofing the list are not practical... on most lists, a small percentage of the members do most/all of the posting. this also takes more work than spammers are interested in.

fine. This saves me work. Let's just ignore mailing lists and let somebody else solve the problem.

if someone can afford to send out enough email where that's a concern (ebay? amazon? buy?), and they don't want to stamp it, there's a good chance that they're a spammer.

seriously... this SHOULD be a burden to anyone doing a mass mailing! i think of that as a FEATURE, not a BUG.

I understand. But there are a serious number of "know it all" types who insist on getting their knickers in a twist over the mailing list issue. We have to be prepared to answer and if the answer is going to be mailing lists can just go pound sand, then let's give them a bucket full and a hammer.

at the egress point for any aggregation of any number of e-mail users, traffic patterns start to look significantly like a spammer. The greater the aggregation, the greater the likeness.

=============

if it were true that spamminess of an email can be correlated to the volume of email passing through a node, then spam filters wouldn't work.

spam filters have many features they can measure by content, volume, addresses, domain name validity etc. Hashcash is a rate limiter and primarily affects spam through the slowing down of how fast you can send it. Now, look at what I said in that light.

500 users minting stamps on 500 desktops is not a significant burden. 500 users having all stamps generated by an outbound "stamp server" could be.

yup, that's right. Unless of course the organization says "we're not touching the desktop. If you tell us to, go pound sand and have a nice day." In my experience, this is any organization with more than 100 desktops.

thus, a market will exist for an outbound "stamp server", specially set up for minting stamps. i suppose that's inevitable... but when they hit the surplus market....

yes. They certainly well and I've worked out how to take advantage of "spare CPU capacity" within an organization. It might be a CPU cycles sponge as it were

but then you're talking about domain signatures, not user signatures? yahoo already invented that. and home users aren't going to have a "secure" box anywhere... not as long as M$ is in business. so the problem of stolen signing keys might be reduced for companies that can afford to not keep keys on desktops, but the problem doesn't go away.

no, that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about individual signatures associated with a given e-mail address. I was talking also on the context of an enterprise or ISP environment. The same technique will also scale down to the individual user.

Personal boxes will get more secure. They are significantly more secure than they were five years ago. Continuing to dither about stolen keys due to viruses and other intrusions will only serve to keep security off the desktop. If there's nothing there to protect, why protect it. As soon as there is something that to protect and a few people get burned, then they will be action on many fronts to make the desktop more secure and quickly.

If you're going to continue to dither about this, you might as well bend over, grab your ankles and say "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. intruder" because there isn't going to be a solution that is either practical or one that will make you happy.

i would assume that a machine gets owned, and between 2-3am that night the spam will start... send out a flood of spam while the mark is sleeping, and when they wake up they'll have a lot of people ~very~ angry at them.

see my point above. If there's something to protect, the people will demand some way to protect it. It's not going to happen a minute before.

If you take care and protect your keys with passphrases or external devices, you are much better shape unless you machine has been compromised at which point, you are screwed

===============

for >99% of users, those precautions will not be taken.

at which point, you are screwed. And then you will demand protection from it happening again.

agreed then: M$ is the problem ;)

actually, computers or the problem. It doesn't matter which OSes out there, compromises will happen, people will get burned, lawyers will get rich.

in all this argument of risk factor vs. risk factor, one thing neither of us can show is actuarial tables. Until you can show that for a given number of hours on the net running particular piece of software etc. you have a 0.000x percent intrusion rate, all discussions of risk are just blowing smoke. 100 percent fine Caribbean smoke.

when risks are categorized, people will demand protection analogs of police, fire, insurance.

assuming a compromised machine, the nice thing about hashcash vs signing keys is that it throttles the rate at which spam can be sent...

compromised signing keys on a compromised computer would essentially guarantee a DoS attack against everyone in the address book... the only limiting factor is the speed of the connection.

a compromised machine in a hashcash universe would be limited to sending out what... ~30 emails/sec? and that's at 100% load. my mom would notice that, and call someone (not me, i dunno nuthin about windoze).

summary: public keys can prevent forgery, not spam.

understood. But the human factors aspect of dropping the cost of hashcash and substituting a signature as a forgery resistant channel between two parties, is hugely beneficial to the end-user. The reason all security measures fail today is because of human factors. Why do we still use passwords? It's because they suck less than all the alternatives. Why is e-mail plaintext? Because it's easier to use than trying to remember a passphrase. Why do e-mail and browser applications remember passwords for you? Because it sucks less than remembering passwords.

so, we can go around this barn again or we can figure out a good, human factors friendly way of minimizing stamp load when it is really needed. This is important because a large number of attacks against hashcash are political. They are "I'm not touching my desktops", "why should I spend stamp time every time I send a message to someone I know","what about mailing lists", and a host of others. They all appeared to boil down to a resentment to spending CPU cycles unnecessarily. but what they really are is failures of human factors. And when it comes to human factors vs. security, human factors always win unless there is some dude with an M-16 standing near you.

---eric