[hashcash] Re: Opportunistic signatures - a proposed design

  • From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:41:30 +0100

a practical implementation of a system using shared secrets would be an absolute nightmare on anything approaching the scale of email. if anyone can explain a feasible (secure, trusted, invisible to end users, etc) system of key exchange, i'd enjoy hearing about it.

I think I've already described it. Let me go over your points one by one:

- Scalability. Each key is known only to it's singular sender and singular recipient. There is no central authority of any kind, and no need to send revocation notice to multiple people. Therefore it will scale indefinitely.

- Security. The key is sent across the wire once (in the common case), in plaintext. This is considerably more secure than the subsequent storage of the key on the participating computers, in today's Internet, and I believe this is sufficient.

- Trusted. Each key is only accepted into the recipient's whitelist if it comes with high-value hashcash *and* the recipient has already sent mail to the sender. This establishes that a consensual two-way conversation is in progress, which is the entire point of the exercise.

- Invisible.  Yes, it is.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/