[hashcash] Re: Opportunistic signatures - a proposed design

  • From: John Honan <jhonan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:00:45 +0100

Atom 'Smasher' wrote:

To get large-scale acceptance, we'll need an approach that meets enterprise needs. Most enterprises will not touch a solution that requires large-scale desktop modification. The support burden is just too high. Therefore, we'll need a solution that can be implemented by a "drop-in box". Which is difficult because enterprise e-mail looks just like a spammer for the same reason that mailing lists do.

i'm not sure i understand how this creates a problem... the bar is raised, for both mass-mailer and spammer... a legitimate mass mailer can create a mailing list and allow subscribers to accept stamps for that list. a spammer will be slowed down to a crawl, or slower.

i also don't see how a public key system is any easier to implement, in enterprise environments, than hashcash.

regarding desktop modification: like nearly all good idea, this will be implemented first in open-source and geeky applications. after 1) people realize that it helps fight spam and 2) someone creates a slick (invisible) interface that's idiot resistant, then all of the closed-source applications used in enterprise environments will have to adopt it, or risk losing market share. the companies will inherit the technology during their next regular software upgrade.

To meet user needs the solution has to be transparent (invisible, as you mention), and zero-cost for the user to implement. Most home users aren't going to be interested learning how these things work, they're just interested in minimising spam with as little effort on their part as possible. If a user clicks the send button to mail their friend, and suddenly get prompted 'please enter stamp value', or 'please wait.... generating stamp', or 'do you want to add this recipient to your whitelist?' - They're going to get a bit nervous; "why isn't my mail being sent the way it used to?", "what's a stamp value?", "what's a whitelist.....?" etc.

Enterprise requirements are slightly different. They want zero implementation and support costs. They just want a solution that will sit there behaving itself and zapping spam. They don't want to have to pay for anything (if they can help it), and they certainly don't want to have to drastically modify or upgrade existing systems or servers or increase support costs to keep it running. Adding hashcash support to Spamassassin was an excellent idea.

Whatever about adding hashcash to open-source apps, eventually Windows will have to be addressed. I haven't checked the market shares, but I would assume that Outlook is the most popular MUA out there at the moment. Now, if people could just go to a website, and click the 'download hashcash for outlook plug-in here'.....

Also, I'm not sure about closed-source applications just 'having' to adopt it. That's the reason they are closed-source. They would prefer to implement their own solution if they possibly can, rather than integrating an open source product into theirs. Losing market share won't be their primary concern, legal issues and licensing will be (look at the recent mails regarding SenderID....) I think a 'plug-in' solution for MUAs and server apps is best way - otherwise you'll be waiting a long time for them to just 'adopt' it.