[haiku] Re: themes

  • From: Adam Smith <amsmith42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:01:10 -0500

May I just say (not to divert from the topic at hand) but it made me
chuckle to read the words "googling hard"?

I completely understand everyone's point of view in this discussion.  As
many of us are, I am a long time BeOS fan.  The current Haiku window design
does bring me feelings of nostalgia, for what was and the potential BeOS
had.  Since Haiku hasn't changed what BeOS looked like over 15 years ago,
while others--Mac OS, Gnome, Enlightenment, KDE, Windows, etc., etc.--have
changed so dramatically, it is easy to fall into this sense of "old" or
"outdated".  Obviously, the GUI is the first impression of any computer
software.  The design is arguably the most important part.  Just look at
the fuss made when Canonical introduced Unity or Microsoft
released...everything from Windows XP on.

At the same time, it is understandable for those who have worked and
continue to work so hard on Haiku to be reluctant to want to change it.
 There are some very good reasons not to change the GUI in Haiku, but I
think the most important is priority.  It is very "easy" for someone to
offer to change it, not knowing what all that would entail.  Everyone
involved has their "wish list" for Haiku and their own talents for making
that happen.  In the end, it is the developers who are going to be in the
driver's seat-- they will decide what needs to be worked on and in what
order.