[haiku] Re: themes

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:18:05 +0200

Hi,

Am 19.04.2014 09:02, schrieb Skar Cat:
hi, this week when i was promting haiku os in social networks, some
people say haiku trasmit and is similar to win98, then they thing haiku
are old, i know that is a lie but we should accept haiku become a look
and feel no so modern... i am designer can i help with it? appearence is
no so important when the core import but we love haiku and the last
thing i want is people forget how modern it is.

My opinion is not worth much, since I am mostly responsible for the current Haiku design. But I think the actual theme is not so dated. I agree however that Haiku /looks/ dated.

I see many reasons for that. Most important is the lack of sufficient white space. White space is used extensively in modern designs. Haiku looks crammed. In some situations, too much white space is bad for productivity. When I installed Ubuntu Gnome 14.04, the spacing between list view items has again increased so much, that it actually hinders my productivity in apps like Eclipse. I found no settings to change this either, despite googling hard.

Another problem in Haiku is lack of animations and lack of drop shadows which are a natural way to separate items from background. Also too much use of borders and frames.

It's hard to change these things without breaking tons of apps. That and general lack of time is why it doesn't progress. It's very easy to make a mockup of how Haiku could look. It's very hard to change it in the code so all apps actually still look good.

Best regards,
-Stephan