[haiku] Re: please keep non-GSoC comments out of these threads; was [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 13:13:32 +0100

Jatsek Platsek wrote:
> Oh man... You must be crazy.... or (which is much worse for you) just
> rude...
> Instructing someone in that way... wow!

OK, let's stop this now people.

Jatsek you need to be a little more careful when entering a community
and insulting some of the long-standing contributors. Koki has a history
of ruffling feathers, which I agree is not always a bad thing. Matt has
done a hell of a lot of work on the Haiku Inc side of things.

IMHO there is focus on R1, there's a wiki page with the list of
roadmapped features for the next alpha and then betas. The core devs are
working on what they're interested in but by and large they are very
important for R1 (eg WebPositive means we can actually ship R1 with a
modern standards-compliant native browser, which is a hugely important
part of a modern OS).

Giving core R1 features to GSOC students seems a huge risk and could
potentially delay R1. Much better to have the core devs work on those tasks.

So you're obviously welcome to believe there is a lack of focus. Those
who have stated it already, we get that's how you feel. Restating it
will have little more effect than continuing to annoy the contributors
who we actually depend on to get us to an awesome R1 release.

Simon