[openbeos] Re: . or no .

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:07:55 -0400 (EDT)

> I am completely aware that it is a security risk. And I agree.

Security is more than being hacked. It also means protecting yourself from
yourself. Perms were implemented in linux b/c Linus hosed his linux part
when he tried to dial his uni using raw devs.

> Seriously, though - on any machine that has any serious security, putting .
> in your
> path is a bad thing. OTOH, that probably
> isn't too much of an issue for OBOS,
> since (at least R1) will have little to no security.

Well, when I live in an insecure neighborhood (low security), I don't
deliberatly open doors (even less secure). If you have low security, you
should try even harder to lock things up. This is not just being hacked,
but good design overall. Think openBSD, when they added security, they
were also fixing bugs that makes a system less usable altogether.

Fred