[openbeos] Re: . or no .

  • From: Gabe Yoder <gyoder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:01:41 -0400

> But isn't that path searched in order?
> I mean, if ./ is the last entry in your PATH env var, then the system
> should run that user's script only if it doesn't find it anywhere else
> first.
>
> Sorry if i'm being naive but i really like ./ as default. When i came
> to BeOS i knew nothing about unix and that was something that would
> have made my life much harder.
> Regards,
> Daniel Cachapa

Yes, it is searched in order.  Having it at the end of the path is safer
than at the beginning.  I tend to think that people who don't put ./ in
the path for regular users are just being overly paranoid (of course,
the root account on a unix machine is a different story).  I haven't
been following all of this thread, but I think that we should have ./ at
the end of the path by default, and when/if OBOS (or whatever the name
is) goes multiuser, the admin account would not have ./ in the path.