[openbeos] Re: . or no .

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 22:43:46 -0400

>On  9 May, Michael Phipps wrote:
>Image typing ls in a shared directory where someone else has made an ls
>binary of their own.
>
>Putting it last in the searchorder or better yet, not in the searchorder
>makes better security.

I am completely aware that it is a security risk. And I agree.
OTOH, since I am a developer, that rarely applies to me, since most people
don't store their source code on insecure machines. :-)

Seriously, though - on any machine that has any serious security, putting . in
your path is a bad thing. OTOH, that probably isn't too much of an issue for
OBOS, since (at least R1) will have little to no security.