[haiku] Re: (off-topic) ArmyKnife - looking for testers / advice

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 00:16:56 -0400

2009/3/31 Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I realize now that this is a new phase, where I
> have to actually communicate with you guys, and
> that its a good idea to coordinate on planned work
> including releases. So, apologies to you, Ryan and
> Scott, for moving unilaterally on this.

Oh it is no big deal. Honestly I am pretty busy at the moment with
Haiku stuff (GSoC and the browser project) as well as plenty of "real
world" stuff too.

In regards to testing, I think it is imperative to automate as much as
possible. While sometimes GUI stuff can be hard to automate, I wonder
if we could provide a nice BMessage-based GUI testing framework for
BeOS and Haiku. I would have to think about it, but the scripting and
messaging we have could be put to good use for testing.

As far as testing the particulars of ArmyKnife's file handling, I
think that could definitely be automated, but you might just need to
put some instrumentation and scripting ability into the program. Again
this might be an area where a cool automated application testing
framework could become another feather in Haiku's cap.

Regards,
Ryan