[openbeos] Re: office suite(s)

  • From: "Ben Allen" <Ben_Allen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:24:46 GMT

<snip>
> Yeah, to be honest, I never saw the real point or value in
> replicants.
> Ok, so it made for a good ActiveDesktop butt kicking, or would have,
> had
> enough applications been 'replicantable'. But what is the point of
> them?
> Ok, so I can drag a replicant of soundplay to other container
> application... why would I do this? Can someone give me an example of
> when I would want to do this?
</snip>

I know myself for one use replicants all the time, the most valuable
place to embed them being the desktop.  I can mount things such as
clock or pulse into the desktop and have the app running but it's
always in the background.  I don't have to worry about accidentally
closing it or having it pop on top of another app.  Of course, this is
only useful for apps you don't use all the time.  Mainly this is used
on my server so whithout "anything" running I can glance at the screen
and see how the different parts of my server are running, plus I can
leave them going and run an app on top of them if I need to.
Plus, IIRC, the icons that appear in the deskbar are replicants, I know
several apps are more handy if you embed their replicant in the deskbar
(BeWeather, etc.)

My 2 cents,
Ben

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

ADA, n.:
        Something you need only know the name of to be an Expert in
Computing.  Useful in sentences like, "We had better develop an ADA
awareness."