[openbeos] Re: kernel devs: creating a good wheel

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:48:12 -0500 EST

Brian Verre wrote on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:02:06 -0600:
> I am a bit worried about R5 compatibility stifling the capabilties of
> Haiku and Zeta. If yellowTab/Magnussen looked at the market,
> they might far better as a Red Hat type company, and relicense
> all available source they legally can. (opinion, not flaimbait)

Actually, without R5 compatiblity as a goal, the project would be a lot
less focused (everyone wants to put in their own nifty idea) and wouldn't
be as complete as it is now.  Lots of other open source projects have
fallen apart because of that lack of a design to work towards.  Plus it
enables incremental development - just replace one part of BeOS at a time,
and still have a working operating system to play with, and to use for
testing the new things out.

- Alex