[openbeos] Re: kernel devs: creating a good wheel

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:13:00 +0100 (MET)

Brian Verre <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, it's only usermode apps that are limited to gcc2.95 object code/
> binaries?
> The OS and kernel drivers can be compiled GCC4.x (when bugs are
> hashed
> out of course)?

Userlevel apps can be compiled with GCC4 as well - but since the C++
ABI differs, you cannot call any libbe.so functions in a nice way. But
you could still compile C only libraries using GCC 4, and have them
used by a GCC 2.95.3 executable - at least in theory; we don't have a
Haiku based GCC 4 yet :-)

Bye,
   Axel.