[openbeos] kernel devs: creating a good wheel

  • From: "Brian Verre" <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 13:16:52 -0600

Hello all,

As a Be user and app dev 8 years ago, with the utmost respect I ask:

How can we NOT re-invent the wheel, regarding the kernel, driver interace,
userspace, etc.

*BSD, linux, HURD, Solaris, Mach have been through countless revisions and
under the watch of many tens of thousands of competent developers...

Should some serious thought be given to establish which of their capabilties
and insights can be cherry-picked and legitimitally re-implemented in the Haiku
core. Extend/work those concepts into 'our' sensibilities.

This logic extends beyond the core to some extent, and I am obviously not
suggesting plagiarism or anything unethical. Just leveraging well tested and
good ideas. And using them.

Excuse me if I've missed this discussion in the past, I am rejoining the Be
community following a long exile in Windows IT work. And I was a little sad
that I had to buy my Mother a MacBook yesterday so she could have a more sane
computer environment to work in.

Thanks,
Brian Verre