[openbeos] Re: kernel devs: creating a good wheel

  • From: Shaka <shaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:14:11 -0500

welcome back!

On Nov 11, 2006, at 2:16 PM, Brian Verre wrote:

Hello all,

As a Be user and app dev 8 years ago, with the utmost respect I ask:

How can we NOT re-invent the wheel, regarding the kernel, driver interace, userspace, etc.

*BSD, linux, HURD, Solaris, Mach have been through countless revisions and under the watch of many tens of thousands of competent developers...

Should some serious thought be given to establish which of their capabilties and insights can be cherry-picked and legitimitally re-implemented in the Haiku core. Extend/work those concepts into 'our' sensibilities.

This logic extends beyond the core to some extent, and I am obviously not suggesting plagiarism or anything unethical. Just leveraging well tested and good ideas. And using them.

Excuse me if I've missed this discussion in the past, I am rejoining the Be community following a long exile in Windows IT work. And I was a little sad that I had to buy my Mother a MacBook yesterday so she could have a more sane computer environment to work in.

Thanks,
Brian VerreThe medical information in this E-mail message is confidential
and privileged.  It is unlawful for unauthorized persons to
review, copy or disclose this information.  If the reader of
this warning is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you have received this E-mail in error, please
notify us immediately by replying to this E-mail and delete any
contents of the E-mail.
Thank you.