[haiku] Re: [gsoc] Request for application pre-review

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:49:23 -0400

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Michael Bridgers
<michaelbridgers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have been working on porting this library to Haiku for the past couple
> of months, and have it compiling for both the 2.9xx and 4.xx gcc
> versions of Haiku.

I had compiled ICU 3.6 with GCC 4.xx for use in my WebKit port in
2007. I never did any testing of it though and need to update to the
latest ICU in my ongoing browser work. So this work of yours is very
helpful!

> RTL UI components display differently in RTL layouts. For example,
> scrolling lists will have the vertical scroll bar on the left side.
> Combo boxes will have the chevron on the left side.

Probably menubars, toolbars and tab bars should be laid out from RTL too.

> Text boundary detection is needed for text layout.

I believe that is some of how ICU is used in WebKit.

> --- Proposal ---
> My proposal is that Haiku add ICU to the core of the OS.

Even though I am a native English speaker with minimal knowledge of
other languages, I think this is a good idea :)

Though whether or not it is distributed with Haiku, it will definitely
be distributed with any WebKit-based browser.

> There are a few problems in Haiku that ICU exposes. For example, the
> atof function returns incorrect values in some cases, and produces a
> segmentation fault in some of the Haiku tests. These problems can be
> corrected over time. They won't prevent Haiku from using ICU for many
> tasks immediately.

Though you can be assured that Haiku developers are always interested
in fixing such problems if they can improve Haiku's library
compatibility and correctness.

> I currently working out an approach to using the resource bundle support
> in ICU to provide support for localizing both Haiku applications and the
> OS itself.  I am planning to provide articles describing this (including
> example code) and other features of ICU.

I think this is important work and I am glad you are working on it. I
will one day want to internationalize the browser I am working on, so
I look forward to your articles!

Regards,
Ryan